Benefits of natural lightingGood lighting at home
or workplace as you see becomes an indispensable requirement for us to be able to carry out activities quickly, easily and precisely for the benefit of our well-being and safety. This information can become an inspiration to reorganize home spaces and make the most of natural light.
To ensure a good level of light comfort in interiors, natural light should be used first and only if its level is not sufficient, it should be integrated with artificial light. The advantages of natural lighting can be summarized as follows:
- greater variability over time of both luminous flux and colours. This makes natural light more vivid and stimulating, it allows the body to adjust its biological rhythms to the passage of time, and regulates the rhythm of sleep and wakefulness based on the alternation of day and night.
- higher light levels, with better colour rendering quality.
- Sunlight is a natural antidepressant. Living in a house full of light allows you to get up in the morning ready to face the day with more commitment.
- The light radiated by the sun is free and does not pollute. Its use contributes not only to environmental protection, but also to reducing the cost of the electricity bill.
Actions to make the most of sunlight
There are several ways to be able to get the most out of natural light, with all the undeniable advantages that have been mentioned above:
- Plan a glazed area that makes up at least 10-12% of the floor area of the room.
- Place the windows high so that the light enters deeper and more evenly into the rooms.
- Choose roof windows to better illuminate the attic.
- If you can, choose windows that are taller than wider.
- Choose bright colours for room surfaces to increase reflectivity.
- Use bright colours for outdoor floors that reflect light towards interior ceilings.
Use partially glazed doors
or glazed openings at the top of interior walls to direct light into the deepest, dimly lit spaces of the building. If possible, make sure your bedrooms face east. In this way, you will create the correct alternation of light and dark and synchronize the rhythm of "sleep-wakefulness".